Thursday, October 2, 2014

tbt: things i learned in high school

this is kind of like a guest post i guess, except that it's from my first blog. it's edited slightly, but for the most part, it's in the original form as when i posted it the first time around. anyways, enjoy a little throwback. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't believe today is it. Today's the day I graduate. In a few hours, I will no longer be a high school student. What is going on here?

Anyways, since this is my blog, we're going to go ahead with my list of things I've learned.

You don't know what you have until it's gone: This is something I learned my freshman year the hard way. My best friend was struggling a lot at our high school so she transfered to a private school where she thrives. Of course, this means I don't get to see her as much as I like, so I cherish every moment with her. Be thankful.


Ask for what you want: Seriously, don't be afraid to ask for something. The worst thing someone can say is no. Emily and I would never have been ASMs if I hadn't asked Rob if we could do it. And I would have never been stage manager if I hadn't asked for it. So ask away my friends. It's your best friend.

Step up and take control: There are going to be times when you're in a group and no one knows what to do. Step up and tell them. Don't be bossy, obviously, but be a leader. If you can prove yourself (me on tech crew) people will listen to and respect you. Plus it's a great self confidence booster.

Like what you want, don't worry about what others think: I've spent waaaaaay too much time worrying about like country music/Taylor Swift/reading/writing/history when all of my friends liked alternative music/Macklemore/going to movies/hating writing/math and science. It's hard to like the opposite of what everyone else does, but if you're not true to yourself, you may end up somewhere you don't want to be. No one is going to care if you'd rather be swimming than running. Seriously. That's what makes you you and you add variety to your group of friends. 

Chances are, people are more worried about themselves: I've also spent waaay too much time worrying about my clothes and my grades than I should. Yes, you should worry about if your skirt is too short and going to show your but, and if you're failing a class, but don't worry about what other people think of you. If you want to dress preppy, go for it. No one cares. In fact, you'll probably get compliments. Everyone is wrapped up in their own life, that they're not going to spend their whole thinking about the time you wore black and navy together. It's okay. 


Study. Do your work: This is something I can't stress enough. This will help your grades a lot, and you learn more. Learn how to study. It's a useful skill. 

Being best friends with someone doesn't mean they're the only person you have to be friends with. You can be friends with other people too: I feel like this is something I haven't learned until very recently, but it's so true. Don't spend all your time with one person. That gets boring. Spice it up. Reach out and make new friends. Invite other friends over. You'll have fun. 

Upperclassmen aren't as scary as you think. Promise: I was terrified of upperclassmen for the longest time. They're just people. It's weird because you might be in classes with people older than you, but they're really nice too. And they can help you out because they've already done everything! 

Sleep = the most important thing of your life: I think this is self explanatory. 

You make who you are and and what you do: You can always make time for stuff you really want to do. You are in charge of yourself, and no one else is. Do what you want. Be nice to people. In the end, you're the only one you have to blame or congratulate. Make yourself a good self. 


READ. Especially your classics: Maybe this is just the bookworm in me speaking, but read. It's so important and it will help you when you have to take literature tests and write essays. Classics are severely underrated and you should read them. The Great Gatsby and anything by Jane Austen are a great place to start. (Plus it'll earn you brownie points with your English teachers.)

YOLO: I know this is so so so cliche, but it's so true. You only live once. You only go through high school once. Make it a good experience. Do what you want. If you have an opportunity, take it, because chances are you're probably going to regret not taking it.

Make relationships with your teachers: This is mostly important for college recs, *but* if you make great relationships with your teachers and they like you, they'll be more lenient if you ask for an extension or forget to do homework. Plus it makes asking for help a lot easier and a lot less awkward. 

You'll find friends where you least expect them: Kristina I'm looking at you. Seriously though, talk to people and get to know them, especially if you do an activity together. Kristina isn't the only person who I've found in an unexpected place. Don't just stick to your old friends. Look for new ones, because you might end up finding someone really amazing. 


Your mom is probably right: Yeah. Listen to your mother. 

Get involved. Even if it's only one thing: A) you're going to need extracurriculars for college apps and B) you're going to be really bored if you don't do anything. Make some friends and learn something new. I can use a power drill, which I would have never expected to learn. 

Ask for help: It's okay to ask for help. Really. Teachers want you to succeed so ask for help! It'll make your life easier, I swear. 

And a bonus learning(?)(lesson?) for you guys:

Every ending is a new beginning: You're starting with a clean slate. What else could you ask for?



Welp. That's it. 18 things I learned in high school. And now I'm off on a brand new adventure. Expect another post soon :)

-Em xx

No comments:

Post a Comment